As we begin the new year, here is a reminder for us of the critical importance of reading Gods Word on a daily basis.
- Gods Word is our source of truth (instruction manual for life)
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
- It is our source of spiritual life (your starving without it)
But he answered, “It is written, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.”
- It is our guide book for life (tells us how to go)
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
- We are to teach others about it (so we have to know it ourselves)
Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
- Gods Word convicts (which we desperately need)
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
- DOING is vital to our effectiveness – hear then do!
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.